Now Available On AnswerConnect!
Take advantage of the functionality and ease of online reading and keyword research. Browse the content with speed & simplicity! The legislation, case law and government documentation cited, including technical interpretations, are available at the tips of your fingers.
* No renewal fees, you keep the content.
** A subscription to a tax library is necessary to get access to the hyperlinks.
Estate Planning with Life Insurance, 8th Edition
This guide provides critical insight into the many roles life insurance plays in estate planning. This handy reference discusses:
• The role of corporate-owned life insurance in estate and family business succession planning
• The impact of changing tax rates on life insurance planning
• Detailed strategies for funding shareholders’ agreements
• Planning opportunities through the review of clients’ shareholders’ agreements and wills
• Accumulation and leveraging strategies
• The use of life insurance in charitable planning and in planning with trusts
• Creditor protection using insurance products
New for this eighth edition:
• Expanded commentary and additional examples regarding corporate policy transfers, including amalgamations, the transfer of an insurance policy as a dividend in kind, the transfer of a policy to a key employee, and transfers between partners and partnerships
• New commentary on the valuation of corporate-owned life insurance
• Discussion of new case law, including:
• Calmusky and Mak—cases potentially affecting beneficiary designations
• Brown v. Laurie—a shareholder dispute concerning the payment of life insurance proceeds
• Rogers—a tax case involving life insurance proceeds and the calculation of the capital dividend account
• Expanded discussion concerning the CRA’s potential ability to seize life insurance proceeds
• New case studies and updates throughout the book
Glenn Stephens, LL.B., TEP, FEA, was called to the Ontario Bar in 1982. Glenn is Vice-President, Planning Services with PPI Advisory in Toronto, and provides tax and legal support to PPI Associates across Canada. He has been with PPI since 2004. Glenn has lectured and written extensively on the subjects of estate planning, taxation, and life insurance. He is a regular columnist for FORUM magazine and an editor of Insurance Planning. Glenn is a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), the Conference for Advanced Life Underwriting (CALU), Family Enterprise Canada and the Canadian Tax Foundation.
|Contributors||Wolters Kluwer Tax Law Editors|
|Subject Area||Trusts & Estate Tax|